Purchasing and selling items online individually or through social media sites has become increasingly popular, but may not be without worry. To reduce the likelihood of theft or fraud and to provide an additional sense of safety and security, the East Hartford Public Safety Complex can be used for the safe exchange of goods with less fear.
The lobby and the public parking lot in front of the Public Safety Complex are available for limited use to the public as an "Internet Purchase/Exchange Location." These areas are under video surveillance and are open to the public 24-hours every day.
General Internet transaction safety tips:
- Insist to meet at a public place such as the East Hartford Public Safety Complex, 31 School Street.
- Don't go alone.
- Trust your instincts.
- Do not meet in a secluded area.
- Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
- Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
- Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions.
- Take your cell phone with you.
In case of an emergency call 911.