If your marriage ceremony will take place in East Hartford you must obtain a marriage license from the East Hartford Town Clerk's Office. Applications (worksheets) are available in the Town Clerk's Office or download it here.
Things to Know
- The application process will take some time to complete, so please plan to arrive no later than 30 minutes before the office closes.
- Both parties must appear together, in person, to make the application. A Driver's License or other valid photo identification is required.
- Know the state or foreign country in which each of you was born.
- Know each of your mothers’ full maiden names.
- Know where each of your respective parents were born (state or foreign country.)
- Know your Social Security numbers.
- Provide the date the ceremony will be performed.
- Provide the name of the person officiating, their address and phone number.
- Keep in mind that the marriage license is good for only 65 days from the time of issuance. Therefore, it is best to apply no sooner than one-to-two weeks prior to your wedding day. This will allow time to reschedule in the event of an emergency.
Obtaining a Certified Copy of a Marriage Certificate
- If your marriage took place in East Hartford or you were a resident of East Hartford at the time of the ceremony a certified copy is available.
- You will need to fill out a request form for a copy of your marriage certificate and you will need to present a photo ID. You may download the request form here.
- There is a $20 fee for a certified copy of your marriage certificate.
- Marriage License Worksheet
- Place bride's information on the right-hand side of this form
- Request for a certified copy of your Marriage Certificate.
Justice of the Peace
Do you need the services of a Justice of the Peace? View a complete listing of names and phones numbers for the Justices.