In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic and temporary closing of the East Hartford Town Hall to the public, the East Hartford Social Services Division has created a remote application process for Back-to-School Shoes and Coats for Kids this year. To apply, please see the link below. Please note, this program is for East Hartford residents only.
Applications should be completed in entirety, signed and returned to the Social Services Division with all necessary paperwork by August 5, 2020. Applications may also be obtained by contacting the department at 860-291-7248 or emailing [email protected] and requesting to have one mailed.
Applications and information may be returned via email, mail or green drop box, located in the parking lot of the town hall. Once the completed application is returned to the department, a staff member will contact applicants to confirm accuracy.
The Back to School Shoe Program provides qualifying parents with a one-time use Walmart gift card for the purchase of a new pair of well-fitting shoes for their children entering grades K-12 in the fall; while the Coats for Kids Program, funded by the East Hartford Rotary Club, provides new winter coats to East Hartford youths between the ages of 5-12 years.
In addition to the signed application, COPIES of the following documents are requested: (originals cannot be returned)
- Photo ID and proof of current address for applicant & proof of current address for all household members age 18 and older. Current address verifications: valid lease, current bill, mail or rent receipt dated within the past 4 weeks.
- Proof of current household monthly gross income.
- Current budget sheet from DSS for cash assistance only.
- Dates of birth for all household members.
- Long form birth certificates for all household members under the age of 18.
- Proof of guardianship/custody, if applicable.
Please Note: Completing an application does not guarantee that your request will be fulfilled, as these programs are based on the amount of donations/funding available.