Drumming Around the World
Leadership Program for High School Youth
November 1st Kick-Off
Community Cultural Center (50 Chapman Pl)
5:00pm to 7:30pm
Join East Hartford Youth Services staff & Dennis Cotton of Power of the Drum for a fun evening of activities, prizes, dinner and a Drum Circle.
**Youth can earn community service hours for participating.**
Drumming Around the World is a unique and fun program is designed to do three things:
- Teach high school students about drum styles & rhythms from around the world.
- Learn "real life" skills that will help them run drum circles for younger youth in East Hartford and in every day life.
- Give high school students a chance to mentor younger youth through a variety of cross-age mentoring opportunities.
This program will engage high school students in positive self-development by increasing their self-awareness, improving their ability to communicate effectively, and encouraging exploration of their leadership potential.
As part of this ongoing, year long program, students will participate in a variety of trainings, be part of group meeting with adult mentors, and work with a professional musician.
All of these learning opportunities will build skills needed for high school students to lead drumming circles for younger students and/or students in Special Education programs. Students will also have opportunities to be a part of a variety of community based service opportunities.
More reasons to be a part of Drumming Around the World:
- Earn community service hours!
- Help design group "gear" (t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc).
- Get a great addition to college and employment applications.
- Learn to build drums!
- Gain real life leadership skills.
- Have FUN!
Funded by AT&T Grant.