East Hartford Town Hall Renovation and Temporary Relocation - Phase 2
East Hartford, CT— All Town departments will temporarily relocate to the Community Cultural Center at 50 Chapman Place for the duration of construction, except for the Town Clerk’s Office, which will move to a temporary office in front of Town Hall to enable continued access to the Town vault. Phase 1 moves have been completed, Phase 2 starts January 4th – 6th, 2023.
The first phase of Town department relocations to the Community Cultural Center took place December 15th, 2022 with the next phase occurring this week January 5th, 2023. Construction work at Town Hall will begin on January 9, 2023 and will conclude mid-January, 2024.
TOWN DEPARTMENTS TO BE RELOCATED DURING RENOVATIONS
All Town Hall departments will be relocated to a temporary office space for the duration of the renovation project. Town Hall departments will occupy “temporary swing space” on the lower level of the Community Cultural Center located at 50 Chapman Street. The Town Clerk’s office will remain at Town Hall located at 740 Main Street in a temporary trailer located at the front of Town Hall.
Town departments unaffected by the renovations project include Police, Fire the Department of Public Works, Youth Services, WIC and the Parks & Recreation Department. These departments will remain at their existing locations with NO disruption to the services they provide.
During the move, to ensure Town departments are moved efficiently and have had time to prepare to resume service in their new space there will be no service or limited service to the public during the following posted times.
PHASE (2) MOVE – JANUARY 4th - JANUARY 6TH,2023
On the following dates the listed Town Hall departments will be moving in January to the Community Cultural Center at 50 Chapman Place with the exception of the Town Clerk’s office, which will remain on current Town Hall property.
- Town Clerk’s office will close to the public on Wednesday January 4th, 2023 at 12PM to begin their move to a business trailer. The Town Clerk’s office will re-open to the public in the new business trailer on Friday January 6th, 2023 at 8:30 AM. The business trailer will be located outside the front of Town Hall at 740 Main Street.
TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE SERVICE CHANGE DURING RENOVATIONS
- Due to the scope of renovations in the Town Clerk’s vault, public access to the vault will be limited to Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 am – 12:00 pm and will be by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, please call 860-291-7230. Appointments are only required for viewing records older than from 1960s. All records from 1960s and to date have been digitized and are available at this link.
- Notary Services will be suspended until further notice.
- Fishing license service will be suspended until further notice.
Engineering, Building Department, Development, Grants, Mayor’s Office, Human Resources, and Corporation Counsel will move on Friday, January 6. These departments will be closed to the public starting on Thursday, January 5 at 4:30 PM through Monday, January 9 at 12:00 PM.
Probate Court will relocate to 50 Chapman Place on Friday, January 6. For specific service changes and hours of operation, please call 860-291-7278.
Social Services Department will move to the Cultural Community Center located at 50 Chapman Street PERMANENTLY on Friday, January 6, 2023. Social Services Department will be closed to the public on Thursday, January 5, 2023 through Monday, January 9 at 12:00 PM.
TOWN SERVICES AND MEETINGS DURING RELOCATION OF DEPARTMENTS
In order to minimize service disruptions to the general public during the move dates, the Town is asking the public to utilize as many online services as possible during this time in order to allow Town Departments to get settled into their new temporary space. Many online services for Town Hall departments can be found on the Town’s website at www.easthartfordct.gov.
PUBLIC MEETINGS: DECEMBER 2022 – JANUARY 2024
The following public meetings will be held at the Community Cultural Center auditorium located at 50 Chapman Place starting January, 2023 through the duration of the renovations;
- Boards and Commissions: The Following Boards and Commissions will hold their regularly scheduled meetings at the Community Cultural Center 50 Chapman Place from January, 2023 through the end of renovations: Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning and Zoning Commission, and the Inlands Wetlands commission.
- Meeting locations for all other boards and commissions will be listed on their meeting agendas on their individual webpages at https://www.easthartfordct.gov/boards
- Town Council: Starting January, 2023, Town Council meetings will move to the auditorium of the Community Cultural Center located at 50 Chapman Place. Meetings will remain available in person or virtual via Microsoft teams.
MAILING ADDRESS/ PHONE NUMBER/ DEPARTMENT LOCATIONS
The physical mailing address will remain 740 Main Street, East Hartford 06108 for all Town Hall departments for the duration of the renovations project. To access a full listing of all Town Hall departments, contacts, temporary location and phone numbers, please visit the Town website at www.easthartfordct.gov.
TOWN HALL DOCUMENT DROP BOX: The Town Hall document drop box and election ballot box will be available both at Town Hall and the Community Cultural Center. The existing Town Hall Drop Box and ballot box will move from their original locations in the Town Hall parking lot to the planned temporary parking lot to be located between Firehouse 1 and the temporary Town Clerk trailer. An additional drop box and ballot box will be installed at the Community Cultural Center left of the main entrance of the building. Please note that the Drop Box at Town Hall, 740 Main Street should be used for Town Clerk documents only. Tax payments and other Town Department forms/documents can only be dropped off at the Community Cultural Center Drop Box, 50 Chapman Place. Drop box service is currently available at the Community Cultural Center.
General and handicap public parking is available on site of the Community Cultural Center located at 50 Chapman Place. Additional Cultural Center parking is located in the lot adjacent to Alumni Park.