Residents may drop off a variety of waste items at the Town Transfer Station at 61 Ecology Drive with a valid Bulky Waste permit. Each permit comes with five (5) tickets for transfer station drop off and also entitles a resident to schedule two (2) curbside pickups of bulky waste.
For more information about Bulky Waste Permits, please see the following links, call (860) 291-7363, or visit the Public Works Administration building at 61 Ecology Drive:
A Bulky Waste Permit and tickets are required for entry into the transfer station. One book of five tickets will be provided upon issuance of a new bulky waste permit and may be used any time before they expire on June 30th. Bulky waste permit fees are $15 for seniors and $35 for all others. Supplemental books of five tickets each may be purchased for $30 each. Supplemental tickets do not expire, but the user must have a valid permit to access the Transfer Station.
Residents and non-resident property owners may access the transfer station with four-wheeled passenger cars or trucks with a carrying capacity of 2,000 pounds or less and carrying a non-commercial registration. One- and two-axle trailers will also be allowed.
Access to the Transfer Station will be based on the following fee schedule: One ticket will be required for a car, minivan, SUV, pickup truck or large van. One ticket will be required for a one- or two-axle trailer. Vehicles with trailers will be charged one ticket for the vehicle if the vehicle is full, plus one ticket for the trailer.
The following items may be disposed of at the transfer station in designated locations with a permit and the appropriate number of tickets (drivers’ license or other photo ID required):
- Household trash
- Building/demolition debris including roof shingles, dry wall, lumber and siding (with a copy of a building permit)
- Swimming pools, decks, sheds, doghouses, wood or metal fences
- Brush (no stumps)
- Car parts (upholstery must be separated)
- Car batteries
- Tractors, lawn mowers, snowblowers (with oil and fuel removed)
- Miscellaneous metal items
The following items may be disposed of at the transfer station in the designated locations without a permit (drivers’ license or other photo ID required):
- Yard Waste (leaves, grass, and twigs) contained only in compostable Kraft paper bags. Large branches, shrubs and brush require a Bulky Waste Permit.
- Used motor oil
- Single stream recyclables, including corrugated cardboard
- Electronics (including TVs, monitors, computers, cell phones and printers)
- Mattresses and box springs (no futon mattresses)
- Textiles (clothing, shoes, household linens, bags, belts, stuffed animals) contained in plastic bags
- Paint Care approved paint products
The following items SHALL NOT be disposed of at the transfer station:
- Hazardous wastes, including batteries (call 860 278 3809 for hazardous waste collection information)
- Concrete and masonry materials
- Propane tanks
Curbside Bulky Waste Pickup
Two curbside pickups will be included with the purchase of a bulky waste permit. Residents who hold a valid permit and are eligible for curbside service (see transfer station regulations for eligibility) may schedule an appointment a minimum of one week in advance. A maximum of six items will be picked up at the curb during each scheduled pickup. Curbside pickups will be tracked in the Town’s permit database and residents will be charged $25 for each additional curbside pickup.
Curbside Pickup Acceptable Items:
- Furniture (mattresses, couches, chairs, dressers, etc.)
- Rugs (cut into 4’ segments and tied or taped)
- Appliances (sinks, dishwashers, refrigerators with doors removed, etc.)
- Gas grills without propane tank
- Brush (Maximum 1” in diameter, 3 ft. lengths tied in bundles –6 bundles maximum)
Curbside Pickup Unacceptable Items:
- Recyclables and household rubbish
- Building/demolition debris (shingles, dry wall, lumber, trees, stumps, etc.)
- Items in bags and cardboard boxes
- Propane tanks
- Car parts (including tires and batteries)
- Lawn mowers, snow blowers, tractors
- Hazardous waste (oil based paint, gasoline, oil, antifreeze, fuel oil, pesticides and herbicides)
- Outside items (swimming pools, doghouses, sheds, swing sets, fencing, etc.)
- Electronics (televisions, computers, monitors, printers, cell phones, etc.)