The East Hartford Police Department wants to remind all residents about some simple tips regarding home security.
- Always lock your windows and doors when you go out, even if only for a few minutes.
- All windows should have two locks. Place a wooden or metal stick in all sliding door and window tracks or place a security pin (a large nail will also work) through the frame. All sliding glass doors and windows should be equipped with anti-lift protection.
- Lock all motor vehicles and keep all valuables secured in the trunk. Never leave a purse, wallet or other valuables in plain sight.
- Keep landscaping around your home trimmed down around doorways, windows and doors and outside light fixtures.
- Keep your exterior lights on from dusk to dawn. Use several timers for interior lights through out your home. These timers should be used both when you are home and on vacation.
- Give the same importance to locking garage doors as you would your front door. Make sure they have a deadbolt lock.
- To keep valuables safe consider a safety deposit box at your local bank.
- Never leave a house key available under a doormat, in a flowerpot, or on the edge of a door. These are the first places a burglar will look.
- If you will be away for several days, have a friend or neighbor pickup your paper and mail.