A Regular Meeting of the EAST HARTFORD REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY was held in the Second Floor Conference Room, 740 Main Street, East Hartford, Connecticut on Wednesday, March 23, 2011.
- The meeting was called to order at 6:07 p.m by Chairperson Pearson
Robin Pearson, Chair;
Ellen McCreery, Vice-Chair;
Others in Attendance:
John Choquette, Development Director
MOTION by Mr. Ryan, seconded by Mr. Matta to approve the bills list
MOTION by Mr. Ryan, seconded by Mr. Matta to approve the minutes
- Greyfield Redevelopment presentation and discussion
- David Sousa, associate senior landscape architect and urban planner with Clough Harbor Associates (CHA) and Steven Wilson, also of CHA, spoke about the possibilities for the Town’s existing greyfields with regard to smart growth through new urbanism. He spoke on the need for re-imaging the current utilization of transportation with a focus on direct connectivity from urban areas to centralized stations along an interstate route.
MOTION by Ms. McCreery, seconded by Mr. Ryan to take item 6a out of turn
- 590 Burnside Avenue – Daley Court
- William Fairbairn from New Samaritan Corp reported that the zones for HUD-202 consideration have changed. Applications are no longer being looked at state by state, but rather by hubs. CT, and therefore East Hartford, is now located in the Boston hub. He reported that shovel-ready projects will be front-runners for funding, and will be meeting with town departments to expedite the process for a zone change and special permit. Mr. Fairbairn would like to have the HUD application submitted by the June 1, 2011 deadline and in doing so requests that the option agreement the Agency has with New Samaritan be extended by 6 months, taking it out to November 24, 2011. The Agency with be calling a special meeting to vote on this.
- First Merchants Group, Vacant Lot: Main Street & Governor Street
- Mr. Choquette reported on the possible interest in a restaurant to be placed on this site.
- Mr. Matta voiced concern over maintaining the look created with the medical building in order to keep the corridor consistent.
- Podunk Bluegrass Music Festival – Request to use 550 Burnside for Overflow Parking
MOTION by Mr. Ryan, seconded by Ms. McCreery to approve the request by the Podunk Bluegrass Music Festival (“Festival”) to utilize the property at 550 Burnside Avenue for overflow parking during the 2011 festival to be held on August 4 – 7, 2011. This approval is contingent upon the “Festival” acquiring the appropriate insurance coverage as well as taking full responsibility for cleaning up and restoring the property to the condition that it was found in prior to August 4, 2011.
6. OLD BUSINESS
550 Burnside Avenue
- MOTION by Mr. Ryan, seconded by Ms. McCreery
APPROVED at 7:32 p.m.
Jeffrey A. Currey
cc: Town Clerk